New Technologies to Double On-Farm Diffuse Pollution Mitigation
Joint MBIE Endeavour Proposal. Successful 2018.
Te Waiora Research team:
- NIWA (Chris Tanner, Rupert Craggs)
- University of Waikato (Louis Schipper, Adam Hartland)
- Lincoln Agritech (Aldrin Rivas)
- Aqualinc Research Ltd (Greg Barkle)
Iwi co-development and implementation:
- Ngati Hauā
Agricultural industry endusers / implementation:
- DairyNZ (David Burger)
- Beef and Lamb
- Waikato Regional Council
- MBIE Endeavour Fund - Successful 2018.
To develop new, highly effective bioreactors and scrubbers (Interceptors) for land managers to:
- Reduce diffuse nutrient losses to waterways and thereby improve the health of streams, rivers, lakes and estuaries; and
- Ensure farming can be sustainable and economically viable within the new reality of “farming within limits”.
Year 1 of 5-year project.
Freshwater bioremediation using native mussels - focussed on shallow eutrophic lakes
- Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research
- University of Waikato
- Missouri State University
- Matahuru Marae, Ngaati Makirani, Ngaati Mahuta
- Joint MBIE Endeavour Smart Idea - Successful 2018.
To develop native freshwater mussel (kākahi/kāeo) rafts (or suspended cages) to assist lake restoration through biofiltration. The focus of our proposal is to return degraded, turbid, shallow lakes towards their original clear, macrophyte-dominated state.
Year 1 of 3-year project.