Lifting the quality of freshwater decision-making and outcomes for New Zealand and internationally by undertaking research and increasing capability across a wide range of disciplines relevant to freshwater management.
Better freshwater decision-making and management strategies:
- Creating new knowledge
- Contributing to development of solutions
- Increasing international linkages
- Developing strong, mutually beneficial partnerships with iwi and other stakeholders
- Linking Mātauranga and Western science.
Nurturing the next generation of scientists and water managers:
- Involving students and researchers in real and practical issues
- Developing interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches and associated skills
- Students and researchers are conversant in the interactions between science, human behaviour, economics and policy.
Focus areas for Te Waiora research and capability-building